Friday, March 11, 2011

"Oh no,...my daughter turned into 'Little House on the Prairie'".

I sent my mom a link to a company called Daniel Boone Log Homes, and the above was her reply. To tell you the truth, I wouldn’t really mind living in some beautiful prairie in the Midwest eating more than my fair share of fried chicken and buttermilk. I wouldn’t mind boiling my entire life down to that of a modest living. Farming. With lots of kids learning simplicities of school (F off matrices and quadratic equations), and making an honest living while donning a bonnet.

Sure childbirth would be really crappy, but it’s also really crappy to be completely and utterly reliant on electronics. Blackberry has a totally different meaning these days! Very seldom do people actually “call on” each other anymore. Quick facebook messages and texts are not SOCIAL ACTIVITIES. What happened to ice cream socials? Or those dances people in WWII attended which eventually led to their marital bliss? What a way to meet a soldier!

I want my family to work hard and love what they’ve earned. I want to see my hot sweaty husband plowing the fields while I bring him a nice cold pitcher of sun-ripened sweet tea! I want to ring a bell to summon my children when it’s dinner time. I want them to come home all dirty and tell me about the forts and mud pies they’ve created.

I mean obviously there’s a compromise between prairie-livin’ and urban trendiness. I just want a simple. honest. life. No big screens, no ipods, no distractions. Is that crazy? Maybe. I’ll leave you with this excerpt from Tim Mcgraw. I’m going to go mix my powdered lipton ice tea with filtered water and dream.

I’m gonna live where the green grass grows
Watch my corn pop up in rows
Everynight be tucked in close to you
Raise our kids where the good Lord’s blessed
Point our rocking chairs towards the west
And plan our dreams where the peaceful river flows
Where the green grass grows

4 comments:

  1. "Hot sweaty husband" sorry, my eye just twitched! Lol! That does sound lovely, and I do like that song buuuuut... I LOVE MY ELECTRONICS WAAAAY TOO MUCH! And since you are fluent in social media I would wager you'd miss it too. ☺
    Oh, I bet you'd rock that bonnet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know, I'm sorry. I realized that visual probably wouldn't have the same effect on you as it does me. And yes, I would miss my electronics. Especially youtube. OH, and music. But I wouldn't mind drinking whole milk every day muahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Straight from the cow huh? Ok, please not STRAIGHT from the cow, you know what I meant. ;) Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha oh now THAT'S a funny visual.

    ReplyDelete