Friday, March 18, 2011

My never-ending journey for salvation.

1 Corinthians 2:1-16

When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you in the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but on a demonstration of the Spirti's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

I was brought up to think that Christianity was not a proper religion. My grandma on my father's side of the family was a dreaded born-again and my parents vowed it was insane and hypocritical. Like who are you to go to church in jeans? Who are you to bless your own house, or to ask forgiveness on your own without seeking penance from Father What's-it? Salvation could only be found through the Catholic church. Every Sunday growing up, my parents would yank us out of bed to go to a very solemn and serious church called St. Joseph's in the very small rural town we lived in.

Before I knew it, I had my first communion. Church was part of my everyday life. My dad played his guitar in the choir regularly, and my mom would cantor very often. I assumed that everyone went to church. I even met my best friend there the year after my reconciliation and first communion. We did Summer Bible Camp and everything. But I do not remember one single message I learned. I just remembered God was real, and we had to pray before eating and before sleeping.

I didn't question it, I just did it. So my dad left our family one day and we quit going to church cold turkey. I remember my mom saying that church gave her a lot of bad memories, and I wondered why we went for so many years if it just didn't mean a thing now. So without the consistent reminders to pray at night and before meals from my father, my religious life really had no structure. At 14, routine church trips were not of the norm, and I didn't really care. God was real. I didn't need to know any more than that.

Two years ago, my then boyfriend (now husband) told me that knowing God exists is not enough. The demons and Satan know God exists, but they won't be going to Heaven. So obviously, I didn't know as much as I thought knew about God, Heaven, and Jesus.

Since then I have changed my views and my life, so I am now changing the direction of this blog. I want to document my experiences in converting. My husband and I have moved to a new town, and have gotten involved in an amazing (and very hip) new church. I have recently joined a life group, and am making these huge changes in my life. I am very excited to share my lifelong testimony here during my never-ending journey for salvation.

4 comments:

  1. I had to do a little double take when I came to your blog this time. ;)I was like, waaaaiiit a minute. Lol! Its amazing the differences between Catholic practices and Christianity. And it's true, so many people say they believe in God and think it's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria your story is amazing and God is so awesome but I must ask you have you been saved according to Rom 10:9? I thou confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God raised Him from the dead thou shall be saved. Have you been saved by doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! Looking forward to keeping track of your walk! Feel free to let me know if you need anything, encouragement, advice, etc.

    One thing you said on your post that caught my attention was

    "Salvation could only be found through the Catholic church"

    Having friends whom are catholic, I've noticed that they do seem to give great importance to the church. They fail to realize that the church didn't die for their sins, but Christ did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord (:
    God is good.
    Looking forward in hearing more great stories about your journey for salvation! Take care and God bless <3

    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete